Speaking & Listening
Three Ways School offers a Total Communication Approach to ensure that all pupils are given an equal opportunity to access communication at their own level of understanding.
Three Ways School uses verbal language, Makaton, symbols, objects of reference, and a range of AAC devices to support both expressive and receptive communication.
Teaching staff work closely with the Speech and Language Therapy Team who provide an integrated in-house service to effectively implement a variety of communication systems throughout school including advisory target setting with class teachers, 1:1 sessions, specialist group and whole class sessions.
• be taught to express themselves as clearly as possible to a range of listeners and in different situations using appropriate means including AAC.
• be taught to understand and respond to others including through the use of social stories.
• be taught to join in as members of a group and use conversational skills where appropriate.
• be taught to communicate verbally or non-verbally as appropriate.
• join in a range of drama activities, multisensory stories, Storysharing® sessions.
• be introduced to some of the main features of standard spoken English and encouraged to use them.
• be taught about language variation.